Monday 1 June 2009

The Mad Hatter...

During my half term week at college, I took part in my Millinery elective. At first it seemed like it wouldn't take me a week to produce a basic hat. I was wrong. The felt took a life time to mould and stretch into place, and along with the bendiest pins in the world, at the time it seemed impossible to think it would ever get finished. My thumbs were bruised and my hands ached, but after three days it started to take shape- a mad hatter inspired hat with netting, for a feminine touch.


To make a hat takes alot of skill, patience and expertise. It is something that would take longer than a week to learn to a high standard, but, from what I was taught in the space of 4 days is something I will always remember and would be able to recreate again. I would defiantly want to explore this further, as I find the whole processes fascinating- hand made hats are delicate. I would like to experiment with different ideas and techniques to progress and make another one in the future.

No comments: