Tuesday 5 January 2010

Innovative Cutting and Creative Bag Making...

In this unit, our final outcome needed to be innovative and have something about it that is different. We were given a choice to make a prototype garment, concept bag or shoe. With the brief that I was given I decided I wanted to make a bag, as this is something I haven't made before and would give me a challenge, and also let me learn a new skill.

Out of the words and phrases we were given I chose- New Modern and Urban Environment, with these I researched into many areas of design- interiors, art, clothing and shape, but I mainly focused upon buildings, and like my millinery, looked into modern architecture, and the shapes and clean lines that are used within it.

When I started to research into the bag making itself, I found that there was so many methods and styles that could be achieved. With this, I started to look into box and packaging design and the way that the final box could made in one piece, folded together with flaps and tabs to attach together. I looked at a hexagonal box design and decided that this was the idea I wanted to use.


The main feature within my design was to be on the lid, so I made several detail cut out pieces to attach to the lid, that would, when their tab was stuck down, fold together creating a fanned around look on the top. Using grey leather I made my bag, connecting the pieces together using strong leather glue and then making sure the lid was attached to the bag itself with poppers and a metal chain.


This has been my favorite unit so far, and enjoyed looking into how I could make my final bag. I think my bag looks attractive and fitted the brief well, however, it could have been made more innovative in its cut, by making the main bag piece itself in a much more interesting way- for example- using the idea from the box lid detailing and integrating that into the other areas of the bag.

No comments: